*thanks Greater Grand Forks Visitors and Convention Bureau for the post
This year marks the 46th Anniversary of a Greater Grand Forks tradition known as Potato Bowl USA. The week of September 19-24 will be full of entertaining events centering on our region’s most popular staple crop. There will be tons of great food including a potato pancake breakfast, baked potato bars and, of course, the World’s Largest French Fry Feed. The festivities culminate on Saturday with a parade, tailgate party and University of North Dakota football game. Make sure to bring the whole family out to one of North Dakota’s best and tastiest celebrations guaranteed to be spudtacular fun for all!
Potato Bowl Highlights
Tuesday, September 20
Golf scramble – 12 p.m. at Valley Golf Course
Wednesday, September 21
Potato Chip Giveaway – Columbia Mall
Thursday, September 22
Baked Potato Bar – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Hugo’s locations
World’s Largest French Fry Feed: food/soda stands; inflatable games; French fry eating contest; live music; “Meet the Sioux” athletes – 4:30 p.m. at University Park
Rydell Fireworks Display – Dusk at Memorial Stadium
Friday, September 23
Sioux Booster Luncheon – 12 p.m. at Alerus Center
Baked Potato Bar – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at all Hugo’s locations
Hugo’s 8K Race & Tater Tot Trot – 6 & 6:30 p.m. at Riverside Park
Saturday, September 24
Rotary Club Pancake Breakfast – 7:30 to 10:30 a.m. at Central High School
Sons of Norway Potato Pancake Breakfast – 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 1401 9th Avenue South
Jaycees Potato Bowl Parade – 10:30 a.m. on DeMers Avenue Downtown
Tailgate Party – 2 p.m. in Alerus Center parking lot
UND Football Game vs. Black Hills State – 6 p.m. at Alerus Center
Further information, along with an entire schedule of events and registration forms, may be found at www.potatobowl.org
It may only be the beginning of September, but hockey season is just around the corner! UND’s Department of Athletics is hosting it’s third annual Sioux Fan Fest on Saturday, Sept. 10, at Ralph Engelstad Arena from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at ice level in the main arena.
The Fighting Sioux men’s and women’s hockey teams will be there and will take part in autograph sessions, a skills station (for 8th-graders and younger) and question-and-answer sessions on the media stage.
A free lunch will be provided to fans courtesy of the Midco Sports Network, and the first 1,000 fans through the doors will receive a free Fighting Sioux and Midco Sports Net acrylic mug. One lucky fan will also be selected to win a 32-inch, high definition television.
Other fun-filled activities include:
- Get your picture taken with the MacNaughton Cup and Broadmoor Trophy!
- Take part in the Sioux Kids Club activities area or sign up if you’re not already a member! While you’re there, register and learn more about Sioux Crew and the Fighting Sioux Club.
- Sign up for the chance to ride the Zamboni at men’s and women’s hockey games!
- Pick up FREE promotional items such as schedule posters and pocket schedules!
- Hit up the grab-bag stations. For only $3 fans can purchase a grab bag full of Sioux memorabilia. Random bags will be stuffed with tickets to men’s and women’s hockey games.
Fans will be limited to one outside item for autographs and UND athletics will be providing an autograph card to the first 500 fans.
Parents are encouraged to register their children for one of the skills session upon arrival as space is limited for each session.
For more information, contact the UND athletics marketing office at 701.777.2237.
We live in a state without professional sports, but luckily we live in a city with a great university and fantastic athletics that really invites the local community to be a part of the UND tradition. Your kids ages 3-14, in eighth grade or younger can join the Sioux Kids Club. You must rejoin Sioux Kids Club every year to renew your membership and receive a NEW t-shirt and other fun stuff!
Join the Sioux Kids Club today for a behind-the-scenes look into how Sioux athletes become part of championship teams! As a member, you will also help Fighting Sioux athletes go to college! Sioux Kids Club membership dollars directly support the Fighting Sioux Club, in the form of the Sioux Kids Club Impact Scholarship. In the 2010-2011 season, Sioux Kids Club membership dollars raised $11,680 for the Impact Scholarship which is divided up among two Fighting Sioux athletes each year.
What does my $25 membership include?
- FREE admission to all home games for volleyball, women’s hockey, men’s and women’s basketball and football!
- FREE admission to one 2011-12 men’s hockey home game
- Opportunity to interact with Fighting Sioux coaches and student-athletes at exclusive Sioux Kids Club events.
- Official Sioux Kids Club 2011-12 T-shirt
- Sioux Kids Club membership card
- Official Sioux Kids Club Birthday Card
- Sioux Kids Club Fan Button
- Official monthly e-newsletter
- Opportunities to be the Sioux Kids Club Captain of the Game
Captain of the Game
Want to have an all-access tour of the locker room, have your name announced at the game, or even take the field, ice or court with your favorite Sioux athlete? Only Sioux Kids Club members have the opportunity to be selected as Captain of the Game. Once you become a member, remember to check the sports in which you would be interested in being the Captain for. Captains are selected at random.
How do I register?
- Visit www.fightingsioux.com
- Visit the Ralph Engelstad Arena Sioux Shop during regular business hours: Monday through Saturday, 10 AM to 6 PM; Sunday 12 to 5 PM.
- Visit First State Bank during regular business hours: Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM.
If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Alphson, marketing coordinator, at LisaA@theralph.com or 701-777-0726.
Join now! The first home football game is THIS THURSDAY, Sept. 1 UND vs. Drake @ the Alerus Center!